Here’s what I’m grateful for tonight. Now to find ways to keep these things in my life with smaller footprints:
- Light. Sunlight, candlelight, bulbs incandescent/compact fluorescent/LED, flashlights, oil lamps, moonlight, I’m not picky, I love it all*. Just one small candle in a jar can turn my living room from deserted house to home.
- Heat. I’ve been thinking all week about people who are truly freezing to death, about the mothers whose children won’t make it through this winter because of cold. I am grateful for heat, and wish we all had the luxury of working to lower the carbon footprint of our heat sources; heat shouldn’t be a life or death matter.
- Music. There’s nothing like music to banish my grouchy self.
- Books. So grateful we are fortunate to settle in next to a light, under our layers of clothing, blankets and dogs, to read, read, read.
- Hot tea. Caffeinated or herbal, tart or sweet, milky or straight, just so long as it’s hot.
*Well, OK, maybe I really don’t love compact fluorescent light, but I’m willing to say it’s better than constant darkness.